Sunday, November 25, 2012

Manaus the City

Hey peoples I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving the other day, I know I did.  After swimming with the pink river dolphins we raced back to the ship to shower and change before dinner. One of the professors on the ship, Sergio, is from Brazil so both here and in Rio (I didn’t go to that one) he organized a dinner at a Brazilian Steak House for anyone who was interested.  Danielle and I went along with all of the families who have children on board as well as some of the RD’s and Life Long Learners and we had a really fun group.  Danielle and I mostly hung out with Jenna and Dakota—the only other students who went and one of the fourteen-year olds on ship who we hang out with a lot who is basically just another student.  Sergio got us all into taxi’s and we drove to the restaurant where we got to sit in the special little side room which was awesome.  The reason we went there was because on Monday-Thursday nights they have half off so you pay about 20 US Dollars for all you can eat buffet and meat and then you pay for drinks and dessert which was a really, really good deal.  Now, I know what you are thinking—Colleen doesn’t eat steak so what is she doing at a Brazilian Steak House for Thanksgiving.  Well, I tried steak in Spain and ended up actually liking it so I figured I would try again and if I didn’t like it I would eat the salad and bread and chicken, etc that they had.

We were invited to go through the buffet first which had lots of sushi, salad, veggies, bread, cheese, and some fish and vegetarian dishes including ravioli which was really good.  Then we headed back to our little room and started to eat.  From then on the servers came in with dozens of different kinds of meat on skewers and asked us what we wanted to try.  It was really funny to see everything they brought and while we tried a lot there were some we opted out on—chicken heart for example.  Thankfully for us Dakota had lived in Brazil for a year and was able to tell us (or translate for us) what the servers brought.  I tried a few different kinds of steak but wasn’t too too adventurous and I did like most of it which was interesting to me as I can’t even swallow steak in the US---oh well.   We joked that we had probably eaten every kind of meat except for turkey which was funny and toasted to a happy Thanksgiving.  At the end, even though we had eaten about as much as we would have at T-giving dinner at home, we split some desserts that were fantastic.  Danielle and I had a chocolate mousse thing and Jenna and Elena had a chocolate and coconut cake thing.  All in all a pretty great Thanksgiving dinner with some pretty great people.  I still missed Thanksgiving with my family though :(  And football---I really miss football!

The next morning we hung out with the Paul-Rios family and my RD Isaiah.  We walked around the port area and this gi-normous craft market nearby, unfortunately after we accidentally walked through the meat market which made us all want to throw up because of the smell but let’s just forget about that part.  The craft market was really cool and we got some sweet stuff.  Danielle and I got hammocks in commemoration to our trip later (read the next blog post) which we were excited about and we found lots of other great crafts to buy and to look at. 

That’s all for now.  Love you all and happy Black Friday (even though I think it’s Sunday now---oh well it was Friday when we went to the market so it counts)

~Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment